Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Wouldn't it be great if God gave us super powers?"

Yesterday, my son asked me an interesting question. He said, "Mom, wouldn't it be great if God would have given us super powers?" And so I asked him what super power he would have like to have gotten. And he answered me "A laser ray that shoots out of my hand and brings me objects that are far away." I thought that his choice was interesting, especially if one could pick out any super powers, like reading someone's mind, flying, etc. Then I asked him, "Do you think that God thinks that he might HAVE given you super powers?" He gave me a very strange look and then said, "Yeah he gave me a brain". I thought very good conclusion for a 9 year old.

This made me begin to wonder, about all the things that God blesses us with and His intention for their use. I don't know about you, but as I started thinking about this I realized just how little of the gifts I have been given are used for thier intended purpose. And so I asked myself to begin thinking why this is. Why do I allow wonderful things in my life not to be used. In many of the instances it was all about fear. What if I don't really know how to use it? What if someone thinks I am silly if I use it? What if I fail? What if it is going to require more energy and thought than I think, then I am stuck with a big project in front of me. The unknown is scarey, why don't I just get busy with accepting and loving the life at hand?!? Isn't this what I am suppose to do? Ah, I don't think so.

The greatest thing that God gave me was a restless spirit. Something inside of me always tells me that life could be better. Don't get me wrong, what I have is pretty good. But couldn't the world be better, couldn't I be more tomorrow than I am today. And then I read the quote that I have on the heading of this blog...to plant a tree that I don't expect to sit under, because I am off to the next adventure! Fear, fear, fear. How would it feel like to have the super power of being courageous. Courage to tackle what seems the impossible, courage to see life in a way that has millions of possiblities not limits. This is the one thing that is great about kids, they think that everything is possible. And as they grow, how many times do we say in some version, "Oh honey, that is not possible." Shame on us. As adults, I think that we think we have to live realistically, but as you read the papers, the people that are most successful are dreamers, those who believe that something different is possible. People who do not get easily discouraged because someone tells them, "That just isn't possible. "

I for one am making the decision today to believe that God has given me all that I need to make changes, not only in my life but in the world. That with God, all things are possible. Each day I will tackle the fears, and see them for what they really are, chains that bound me to life that is not always fulfilling. It is good to be discontent, it makes us move. And so for those of us who may have one time thought that discontentment is a bad thing, today I thank God for it . . . and will move in a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment